I love RSS. It brings me all the parts of the web that interest ME with little effort on my part.
RSS is the broadcasting of the internet. But better because it lets the USER choose and control what content they want to receive.
Radio has a lot of opportunities to use RSS.
Here’s just a few ideas of items that should be SEPARATE RSS feeds on radio station websites.
- MORNING SHOW TOPICS:
example – 7am – taking calls on last night’s Tool concert.
- MORNING SHOW GUESTS:
example – 8am – Tommy Lee talks about Rockstar Supernova.
- EVERY REMOTE EVENT THE STATION WILL BE AT THAT WEEK.
- EVERY CONTEST THAT WILL BE ON THE STATION THAT WEEK.
- EVERY ARTIST AND/OR SPECIAL MUSIC FEATURE.
ex: debut new AudioSlave TODAY AT NOON!
- SPECIALTY SHOW PLAYLISTS AND SHOW NOTES
- COMPLETE STATION PROGRAMMING SCHEDULE FOR THE WEEK.
- SECRET “CLUB MEMBER” ONLY feeds that give our database or otherwise identified P1’s special “secret” info like when the “song of the day” is going to play and other “inside members only” stuff.
Interviews, bits and eventually . . . if we get out act together – some of our most compelling music programming.
The benefit is that listeners can choose to subscribe to the items that INTEREST them.
Maybe they will want to know everything that’s going on at the station – so they can subscribe to ALL the feeds.
But maybe they’re only interested in the Morning Show and a few Specialty programs.
Being the station that understands our listeners means knowing not all listeners are interested in EVERYTHING we do.
RSS makes it easy for each listener to stay up to date with what THEY want out of what we’re doing.
RSS is quickly moving out of the geek fringe (almost EVERY US and International Newspaper offer content in RSS)
Radio has nothing to lose and everything to gain with this. It’s just one more way we can make our stations more relevant to listeners. No reason to wait to start doing that.
Oh yeah . . . please . . . if you do go down this road – please please please DON’T use RSS to pump commericals at people.
You will get hated and destroy the connection you’re trying to build.